Unbagging the Cats 1

Unbagging the Cats 1

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Too Few Cooks Spoil the Sloth

Last night, as I was frittering away my valuable time not-writing in the kitchen, my son Genius demanded that I make him a baloney sandwich. Never mind that I was in the midst of preparing the evening meal, busily chopping onions, slicing tomatoes, shaking shredded lettuce and shredded cheddar from their respective bags, and intermittently opening the oven door to prolong cooking time. Genius did not want to partake of the splendid repast that would imminently be placed before him.

I questioned his tactics over my shoulder. "What do you think this is, some kind of short-order-cook kitchen, where you can get anything you want, any time you want?"

Genius responded with the lightning reflexes inherent to sixteen-year-old boys. "No. It's more like a short-temper cook kind of kitchen."

Before you go thinking he's a natural for the stand-up comedy circuit, cutting down hecklers with his rapier wit like Michael Douglas slicing through the Colombian jungle in Romancing the Stone, consider this. I offered Genius some spaghetti left over from the previous day. Nope. Not good enough for him. The reason?

"I don't like it after it's been eaten once."

2 comments:

knancy said...

Well, sounds like to me it’s time to offer appetizers, salad, soup, main and dessert courses. Of the five course offerings you should have one that suits each family member. With strategic planning, the boys will be eating from the time they get home until time for bed. Of course, in order to do this you will have to quit your day job and make HH pay for everything now. Then again you could start a new foodie blog! I’d love to see your menus and recipes - pics and how-to-videos, please!

Val said...

knancy,
The problem with your plan would be the soup course. It would take HH's entire salary to put in enough meat to build a towering bowl of soup to his specifications. Which is a buttload of meat, because if there's one thing HH does right, it's bring home the bacon.

My foodie blog would be more of a phooey blog. I don't measure ingredients so much as I toss in whatever I can find. My vegetable beef soup is never made the same way twice. The only item that requires precision is my world famous Chex Mix. Even there, I play fast and loose with the Worcestershire sauce.