Unbagging the Cats 1

Unbagging the Cats 1

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Plans: What Are They Good For?

My good intentions continue.

Genius is staying home today and tomorrow to cram for his SAT tests. He's taking the subject tests for Chemistry, Math 2, and Biology on Saturday. So the job of driving The Pony fell to me.

We stopped by Walmart to pick up some goodies for my mom's birthday. She's 79 today. Which means I only have until December to cram the word "septuagenarian" into my stories as often as I can.

I also had to stop and put air in my right rear tire, because my Tahoe told me it was four pounds low. Anybody remember the days when a car didn't nag you? And even though we have our own air compressor, and two able-bodied males who know how to use it to air up my tire...the last time this happened it took two weeks for them to inflate it. I couldn't get gas because The Pony wanted to get right to school. It seems that the first student there gets to put one of the big TVs in the cafeteria on the show he wants to watch. So gas had to wait for the return trip.

Of course, I had to drop off Mom's cake and cards and gift at her house. So we chatted a while. Then I remembered I had to go to the bank. Stopped for gas. And arrived home two hours after leaving to drop off The Pony.

I vowed that I was going to use that time for writing. VOWED, I tell you! I had from 9:00 until 1:00 to whip up the next War and Peace. Only I'm going to call mine, "War: What is it Good For?" But there was the added presence of Genius. Who argued about cleaning off the coffee table so he could study in the living room. Apparently, it is my fault the table was full of his stuff. I told him that I was going to leave him entirely alone, and would be in my office in case of death or dismemberment. Then I proceeded to wash the dishes from last night's supper.

Thirty minutes into his shunning, Genius appeared at my office door. Because he's going to Boys' State in June, and he needed to know the time of his mandatory meeting tonight. And then he had to look up other participants on their website, on MY computer. And he had to get his booklet and discuss the entire program with me. And plan on what items he needs to buy to last him through eight days with no laundry. Then he had to pick up The Pony's flash drive that was on my desk, and click it back and forth a couple of hundred times, and bump into my printer, and wipe dust off my at-home teacher textbook, and instruct me to give him his monthly allowance instead of applying it to his current debt with the Bank of Val as he had previously planned, and pretty much annoy me in general until I gave him money to go to town and get lunch.

Now it's 11:59. At least I don't have to comb my brain for a blog post today.

I still have grand plans for the next hour, and the time between picking up The Pony from his summer PE class at the local bowling alley at 1:30 and the cooking of the evening meal.

Grand plans.

4 comments:

Leenie said...

Thank heavens for family members for providing quality blog fodder.

You've typed and published another post. You've succeeded in entertaining your followers and slipped in a couple of new vocabulary words for us to look up as well. I say take a well deserved vacation. Just be back here tomorrow with another post.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Since the arrival of the demanding bottle fed cat, the only thing I plan for is uninterrupted sleep. My plans don't work out either ....

Donna Volkenannt said...

And I thought my days were busy.

Val said...

Leenie,
Val cannot exist in a vacuum. We have a give and take relationship. They give me material, or I take away their food and clean clothes.

******************
Kathy,
That kitty is high-maintenance. But they don't stay little long.

******************
Donna,
I'm sure you have your grandkids on a schedule, or else you wouldn't have time for all their sporting events and watching streakers at Cardinal games.

That, and, oh yeah, maybe talent and drive, are what make you so successful at writing.