Unbagging the Cats 1

Unbagging the Cats 1

Thursday, May 17, 2012

How Do You Get To...

Today was our last day of school. We were gifted with an early dismissal. So I had thirty minutes to kill with my older students. One brought his guitar, and the others asked if he could play. Of course. Only two kids complained about this "lesson." That's got to be a record for this group.

While he was tickling the catguts, his cronies started shouting out songs for him to play. The intro for Sweet Home Alabama was first. As he said, "Any fool can play THAT one." He went on to some newer country songs. Then some Matchbox 20. Then a kid requested Johnny Cash. "I hate Johnny Cash. It's one of two intros. Either this. Or this." He played them both. He even tried to do it in the style of The Man in Black himself. "I don't know HOW he played like that. He must have had the longest arms in history."

Somebody asked for John Denver. "I don't even know who that is." They tried to explain, gave the example of a song in a movie that just happened to be Thank God I'm a Country Boy. Then he caught on. But he said, "You guys! You can't just yell out anything and think I can play it."

Which made me think of writing. I have knack for a certain styles. No matter how much anybody encourages me to try other genres...I'm no good at them. I could make the effort, but it would take years of practice.

And I'm just not sure I have the desire to get to Carnegie Hall.

4 comments:

Donna Volkenannt said...

Sounds like your students had a special day.
Hope you have a great summer vacation.
Donna

Linda O'Connell said...

Well now that was a memorable experience. Let vacation begin. Six more weeks for me.

Leenie said...

Just because a person thinks they might be able to master a skill doesn't mean they should burn up a bunch of hours in this life at the attempt. Find a career, hobby, time killer you like and enjoy the ride. Life's too short.

You're great at finding and posting the goofy and odd moments in your day in a way that is concise and super fun to read. Write ON!

Val said...

Donna,
I need to make it a working vacation. Summer is my catching-up time.

************
Linda,
You poor thing. The beach awaits.

************
Leenie,
I watch too much Seinfeld. I'm the blog about nothing.