Unbagging the Cats 1

Unbagging the Cats 1

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Regular Wednesday Night Meeting of the Blogging Grammar Police Society

More from the sadly misunderstood phrase and/or misspelled word files, again garnered from comments on some big-time political blogs:


"This truly is one of the most despicable acts of condensation and ridicule to us."

It appears that somebody is not only making fun of us, but also rainin' on our parade. Or will be, after all that condensation becomes too heavy for the atmosphere, and begins to feel the pull of gravity. 

Might I suggest, perhaps, a substitution, such as condescension?

*******************************************************

"The latest donation request wreaks of desperation." 

Well, gosh. That donation request is inflicting desperation on folks, perhaps. But I believe the author was trying to make a different point. One along the lines of something is rotten in the states of America.

When pointing out that something stinks, the word of choice should be reeks. There's even a really bad movie to help you remember, by the title of Reeker.

*******************************************************

I now adjourn the regular Wednesday night meeting of the Blogging Grammar Police Society.

6 comments:

labbie1 said...

Such a short meeting this week...tsk tsk...

Now where are the refreshments?

Arlee Bird said...

I guess somebody needs an editor. Maybe you should apply. It might be a nice jester on your part and lubritive for you as well.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Oh, my goodness. Hehehe...that is funny and horrifying all at the same time. My husband once overheard a man tell his friend, "It was a fetal effort." Oy.

Val said...

labbie,
Wednesday is Survivor night. I can't be bothered with hosting the Regular Wednesday Night Meeting of the Blogging Grammar Police Society AND providing refreshments! I've got to shoo everybody out of here before Survivor starts.

So sorry that I could not be bothered to provide you with some sustenance to "tie you over" until mealtime. My friend Karen used to say that. Along with: "I know you like a book." She didn't get it when I asked if she could read me like the back of her hand.

****************************
Lee,
Oh, I could make a nice "jester" all right.

****************************
Lisa,
This grammar-policing business ain't all it's cracked up to be. At times, I feel that it's futile. Or maybe I want to say "feudal."

Tammy said...

Love the post and the comments! Reminds me of the time someone told me she was going to set me up with a nice, extinguished man. I said yeah, so many of them are at this age. I'm sure she thought I was very weird.

Val said...

Tammy,
Thanks for sharing your extinguished man tale. Don't you know that zombies are IN these days? But I guess that would make him unextinguished. Or inextinguishable.

In any case, I'm accepting you as an ancillary member of the Regular Wednesday Night Blogging Grammar Police Society. Whether you want to join or not.