Unbagging the Cats 1

Unbagging the Cats 1

Saturday, September 3, 2011

When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Loomed

Is this a sign of the apocalypse?

My lilac bush is blooming. That is not a euphemism for something improper. My actual front-yard lilac bush has sprouted several blossoms. When I looked out the front window, I thought some trash had blown onto the bush. Or perhaps a crafty giant arachnid had ensconced some limbs with webs. I sent Hick out to investigate on his way to the barn. I sent The Pony to take a picture with his phone.

Never have I ever seen lilacs bloom in September. They're an April kind of treat in these here parts. I'm giving props to the goats who stood on their hind legs to devour my lilacs and limbs and shoots and leaves. Or perhaps to Hick, who wrapped a limb with duct tape in an effort to prevent me from noticing that his caprine kids had broken a big branch.







Still. This does not seem normal.

The rest of the earth is scorched and parched. Temperatures have soared into the high nineties for weeks. But something set my lilacs to blooming. It's the bush that Hick dug up from my grandma's yard. The bush that took seven years to bloom. From the grandma who passed away last September.

8 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

say hello to Grandma! My friend sent me a flower every winter after she died.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I agree with Linda. I think it's your grandmother saying, "Is it hot enough for you?"

BECKY said...

I'm hearing Twilight Zone music....do do do doooo! I LOVE lilac bushes and for some reason have not seen any around my part of the state in years. Guess I'll have to plant my own..at the next house!

Val said...

Linda,
I have relayed your salutations.

****************************
Sioux,
Friday night, both of my boys were sleeping over in different households. I heard Grandma walking over my head, between their bedrooms. I believe she was saying, "Where are the boys tonight?"

****************************
Becky,
I thought it would be so simple. But that darn bush did not bloom for 7 years. It had leaves, but no flowers.

labbie1 said...

What Linda and Sioux said! Just passing by to say "Hey"! Sorry you are feeling sick! Get better! Love Grandma!

Val said...

labbie,
Thanks for the support.

Tammy said...

I feel terrible that I thought it was an evil omen portending strange winter weather till I read the end. Have you thought about writing that one up for Chicken Soup for the Soul's call out "Messages from Heaven?"

Val said...

Tammy,
Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of other instances that would fit into the same category. I must have overlooked that topic when I was checking deadlines.